Updated: Madore Had History of Gun Arrests and Mental Illness Before Hospital Shootings

Print More

AG photo

John Madore

UPDATED Nov. 22, 2023 to show the weapons John Madore had in a 2016 incident in which he attacked his mother and sister in Strafford were not the two he had in his possession when he killed Bradley Haas, an unarmed security officer at the New Hampshire Hospital, the state’s psychiatric facility, where Madore had previously been a patient.

On Wednesday, Michael Garrity, spokesman for the Attorney General’s Office, newly confirmed the following information about last Friday’s incident:

  • the firearms used and found in the shooting of Haas were not the same firearms involved in the 2016 case as reported below
  • the 2016 firearms remain in the custody of the Strafford Police Department 
  • The U-Haul that was located in the parking lot after the shooting was rented by John Madore earlier that day, earlier on Nov. 17, prior to him going to New Hampshire Hospital. An AR-style rifle, as well as multiple magazines of ammunition were found inside. 

By NANCY WEST, InDepthNH.org

CONCORD – The man authorities say shot and killed an unarmed security officer at New Hampshire Hospital last Friday before being killed himself was twice arrested in the past for charges involving firearms and was hospitalized at the same psychiatric hospital in 2016, according to court records made available on Monday.

See court records here: https://www.courts.nh.gov/media/requested-cases/criminal/state-new-hampshire-v-john-madore

John Madore, 33, was shot and killed Friday afternoon by an unidentified state trooper who was on duty at the hospital after Madore shot and killed security officer Bradley Haas in the lobby of the state’s secure psychiatric facility in Concord.

Court records also detail an incident in which police found Madore apparently trying to commit suicide in 2016.

Officials have not said since Friday how Madore was able to have weapons given his medical and criminal history.

Attorney General John Formella’s spokesman Mike Garrity said Monday the investigation continues into how Madore had firearms.

“Our investigation remains active and ongoing. It includes working with our federal partners to look into the firearms involved.
“As Colonel Hall indicated at Saturday’s news conference: investigators have determined the weapon used by the suspect was a 9 MM pistol and that located within the UHaul found outside the hospital were an AR style rifle, a tactical vest, and several magazines of ammunition,” Garrity said.

Late Monday afternoon, Gov. Chris Sununu spoke at a candlelight vigil for shooting victim Bradley Haas, who was formerly the chief of police in Franklin, and to support the hospital staff and patients.

“In times of hardship, Granite Staters band together. Hundreds of community members gathered tonight for a candlelight vigil in remembrance of Security Officer Bradley Haas and to support the NH Hospital Community. Together, we will move forward,” Sununu said on Twitter and posted photos of the event.

Previous firearms incidents

In New London when he was 23, Madore was charged May 25, 2014, with carrying handguns without a license and resisting arrest. Six months later he was found guilty of resisting arrest and fined $620 and the carrying handguns charge was placed on file without a finding.

In another incident, then-Strafford Police Chief Scott Young said in a sworn statement that on Jan. 8, 2016, Madore got in a physical altercation with his mother and sister at their home on 526 First Crown Point Road in Strafford where he choked his sister Jacinta Madore to the point she couldn’t breathe and grabbed his mother Theresa Madore by the neck and knocked her to the floor.

John Madore barricaded himself upstairs in his bedroom but surrendered after Young called the SWAT team after having told police it wasn’t going “to end well.”

After John Madore was taken into custody, Young said they found an SKS assault rifle with 30 round magazine locked and loaded on the bed along with a Sig Sauer 9 mm handgun, also loaded with 15 round magazine, court records show.

Madore’s mother told Young that her son was angry that they had to put down the family dog.

Madore was charged with second-degree assault, reckless conduct and simple assault, charges that were later dropped.

On March 1, 2016,  Strafford County Community Corrections was notified that Madore had been released from New Hampshire Hospital on Feb. 18, 2016, and his whereabouts were unknown. It’s not clear from the available records exactly how long Madore was a patient at the New Hampshire Hospital.

On May 17, 2016, Strafford police were called to Madore’s home because he was cutting and trying to hang himself, but ran into the woods before police arrived. Police found him the following day with the rope still around his neck complaining his feet hurt because he was barefoot and they took him to Rochester Hospital for involuntary emergency admission.

A further bail hearing was held May 24, 2016, amending bail to $5,000 cash to convert to personal recognizance bail on his transfer to New Hampshire Hospital, according to court records.

On Sept 8, 2016, the hospital attorney told the prosecutor Madore was ready for release to supervised transitional housing.

Comments are closed.