Lebanon, NH – As part of the historic visit this week of all living Surgeons General of the United States to the Upper Valley, Dartmouth Health, the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and the C. Everett Koop Institute at Dartmouth will sponsor a virtual roundtable on Friday, September 29, featuring five former Surgeons General, discussing some of the most pressing topics in healthcare. “The Future of Healthcare 2023 – The Surgeons General Roundtable” will be held at Dartmouth Health’s Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) and stream live on YouTube from 9:30-11:00 am.
Steven L. Bernstein, MD, Chief Research Officer at DHMC and Director of the C. Everett Koop Institute, will deliver the welcoming remarks for this event. Pierre R. Theodore, MD, Director of Health Equity and Patient Impact Global Pharmaceutical at Genentech, will serve as moderator. Speakers include:
- Antonia C. Novello, MD, MPH, Dr.PH, the first woman and first Hispanic Surgeon General, who served during President H.W. Bush’s administration
- M. Joycelyn Elders, MD, MS, the first Black Surgeon General, who served during President Bill Clinton’s administration
- Kenneth P. Moritsugu, MD, MPH, FACPM, who served as acting Surgeon General during President George W. Bush’s administration
- Regina M. Benjamin, MD, MBA, who served during President Barack Obama’s administration,
- Jerome M. Adams, MD, MPH, FASA, who served during President Donald Trump’s administration
This event follows a panel discussion the day before at Dartmouth College featuring Novello, Elders, Moritsugu, Benjamin, Adams, and current Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy, MD, MBA, on the national mental health crisis.