AG: Nurse at Assisted Living Facility Charged With Breaking Patient’s Fingers

Print More

Deputy Attorney General Jane E. Young and New Boston Police Department Chief James R. Brace announce that Nancy A. Waller, age 65, of New Boston, New Hampshire, was arrested on Thursday, April 8, 2021, and charged with two counts of Abuse of a Facility Patient, Second Degree Assault, and Simple Assault.

Ms. Waller is a Registered Nurse employed at Rose Meadow Farm, an assisted living facility in New Boston, New Hampshire. The charges allege that, on December 23, 2020, Ms. Waller broke a resident’s fingers as she was prying them off the resident’s call bell. The charges further allege that Ms. Waller then prevented the resident from being examined by outside medical professionals.

The Abuse of Facility Patient charges and the Second Degree Assault charge are class B felonies that each carry a maximum penalty of 3 ½ to 7 years in the New Hampshire State Prison. The Simple Assault charge is a class A misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of 12 months in the House of Corrections.

Ms. Waller will be arraigned in the Hillsborough County Superior Court – North on a date to be determined.

The charges and allegations are merely accusations, and Ms. Waller is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Assistant Attorney General Stephanie J. Johnson and Senior Assistant Attorney General Thomas T. Worboys of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, are prosecuting this case. Sergeant Timothy Loveless of the New Boston Police Department and Investigator Robert Freitas, also of the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit, investigated this case.

Under New Hampshire law, the Attorney General is responsible for the prosecution of health care facility employees charged with willful abuse, mistreatment or neglect of a patient. Health care facility employees suspected of abusing their patients should be reported to the Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit [(603) 271-1246], your local police department, or the Department of Health and Human Services, Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services [(800) 949-0470].

The Medicaid Fraud Control Unit of the New Hampshire Department of Justice receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $855,236 for Federal fiscal year (FY) 2021. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $285,078 for FY 2021 is funded by the State of New Hampshire.

Comments are closed.