By PAULA TRACY, InDepthNH.org
MANCHESTER – Ending speculation, Democratic New Hampshire Congressman Chris Pappas announced his plan Thursday to run for the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Jeanne Shaheen.
In a video and statement posted on the platform X, previously Twitter, the 44-year-old Manchester native wrote “I’m in. Today I am announcing my campaign for the U.S. Senate because New Hampshire needs a fighter who gets things done.”
He was expected to hold a campaign kick-off event at his business, the Puritan Restaurant in Manchester Thursday at 5 p.m.
Pappas was a high school student in Manchester when he met U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen and became a Democratic activist.
Shaheen has decided not to run for another term.
When she announced her plans, Pappas indicated his interest and launched a 10-county tour of the state to meet with residents.
In the video he posted on X Pappas said America is in “turbulent, dangerous times,” but that “we will get our country back on track.”
He said there are currently corporations with outsized impact on the government and that it is giving tax breaks to people like Elon Musk.
Pappas said he has taken on PHARMA and will stand up to political extremists.
He is the first candidate to announce plans to run for the six-year seat.
This announcement will also offer others a chance to run for Congress from the First Congressional District.