No Jail Time for Ex-Portsmouth Cop Who Embezzled From His Union

Print More

Portsmouth Police Facebook photo

Dean Outhouse is pictured when he was still working for the Portsmouth Police department.

CONCORD – Former Portsmouth Police Officer Dean Outhouse, pleaded guilty Wednesday to embezzling $17,340 from the Portsmouth Patrolman’s Union, according to Attorney General John Formella.

Formella said in a news release that Outhouse was sentenced to 12 months in the house of corrections, all of which was suspended for one year for one count of theft by unauthorized taking. Sentencing took place in Rockingham County Superior Court in Brentwood.

Outhouse made full restitution to the union at Wednesday’s plea and sentencing hearing.

The plea deal required restitution and also said the sentence is suspended for one year under the following conditions: that Outhouse will be of good behavior, that he surrender any and all law enforcement certifications and not seek future employment as a law enforcement officer.

Outhouse also agreed to be placed on a national registry of decertified officers, and agreed not contest his placement on the Exculpatory Evidence Schedule, also known as the Laurie List of police officers who have been disciplined for credibility or excessive force issues.

Outhouse embezzled $17,340 from the Portsmouth Police Patrolman’s Union from July 29, 2019, through June 21, 2022. Outhouse had served as treasurer of the Portsmouth Police Patrolman’s Union prior to his retirement from the Portsmouth Police Department in June of 2022.

Outhouse retired from the police department on Aug. 1, 2022 on a service retirement, meaning he had to have been at least age 45 with 20 years of service or 46 with 21 years, according to Marty Karlon, spokesman for the NH Retirement System. Outhouse’s annual pension is $57,161.

There is no law in New Hampshire that prohibits a police officer convicted of a crime from receiving his or her pension.

This case was investigated by law enforcement officers with the New Hampshire Department of Justice and was prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Joe M. Fincham II of the Public Integrity Unit.

Comments are closed.