One Victim Dead, Shooter Killed by State Police at State Psychiatric Hospital in Concord

Print More

State Police Col. Mark Hall speaks at a news conference at the New Hampshire Hospital in Concord Friday after one person shot to death and the shooter killed by State Police. WMUR screenshot

UPDATE: Concord, NH – Attorney General John M. Formella, Safety Commissioner Robert L. Quinn, and State Police Colonel Mark B. Hall announce that the victim in the deadly shooting currently under investigation at the New Hampshire State Hospital in Concord, New Hampshire has been identified as Bradley Haas, age 63, of Franklin, New Hampshire.

Mr. Haas, a New Hampshire Department of Safety Security Officer, was shot in the line of duty while working security at the hospital’s front lobby entrance around 3:30pm Friday. Mr. Haas was a father and a law enforcement veteran who previously served as Chief of the Franklin Police Department in his hometown of Franklin, New Hampshire. He served the Franklin Police Department for 28 years, beginning as a patrol officer after serving 3 years as a military police officer in the U.S. Army. Mr. Haas’ family is asking for privacy at this time.

The shooter, who is also deceased, was immediately engaged by a New Hampshire State Police Trooper assigned to the hospital. Members of New Hampshire State Police, the Concord Police Department, New Hampshire State Office Complex Police, and the Merrimack County Sheriff’s Office quickly responded to the shooting incident along with members of the Concord Fire Department.

Investigators are not releasing the identity of the shooter at this time as the investigation into the shooting incident continues. At this point investigators with the New Hampshire State Police have searched and cleared a suspicious box truck near the scene. They determined the truck poses no safety risk.

Autopsies are scheduled for tomorrow in Concord at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.


CONCORD – One person has been shot and killed and the suspected shooter is dead after a State Police encounter in the lobby of the state psychiatric hospital Friday at about 3:38 p.m., State Police said.

No patients at the New Hampshire Hospital on Clinton Street were physically harmed.

State Police Col. Mark Hall said he could not identify the shooting victim who was taken to nearby Concord Hospital, nor the suspect, noting that the investigation is ongoing and next of kin had yet to be notified.

“Upon entering the lobby, the suspect shot one individual. A state trooper assigned to the hospital and in close proximity, immediately engaged, shot and killed the suspect. The entire incident was contained in the lobby of the hospital. The victim was administered CPR on site and transported to Concord Hospital. Unfortunately, that individual is now deceased. We are working to notify the family and will release more information at that time,” Hall said.

“We are working to determine the identity of the shooter,” he said.

The 120-acre campus was still considered an active crime scene while police worked on collecting evidence, including a vehicle suspected to be connected with the shooter, at 6:30 p.m.

Police asked the public to avoid the area of Clinton Street, Fruit Street and Pleasant Street where the hospital campus is located, until they could clear the area.

Lori Weaver, commissioner of the state Department of Health and Human Services, which operates the forensic hospital said the department is “shocked and saddened” by the events of the day. She noted patients were safe.

She did not directly indicate whether the victim was a state employee, but she said, “Our hearts go out to the family of the victim as well as our colleagues who have been impacted,” and teams are providing support to patients and staff as well as developing a call center with a phone number which had not yet been released.

“While the hospital remains closed to visitors it remains open to serve patients, and our dedicated staff will continue to provide skilled and compassionate care as they do every day,” she said.

Weaver said visitations would resume as soon as possible.

“This is a difficult and unimaginable day for our employees and our community,” she said.

Earlier in the afternoon, State Police Standards and Training Council held their graduation at the New Hampshire Technical Institute.

Comments are closed.