AG Conditionally Drops Charges Against Ex-Police Officer

Print More

Attorney General John Formella

CONCORD – Attorney General John Formella has agreed to conditionally drop charges against former Ossipee police sergeant Justin Swift for running license plates on the department’s system for his own use.

Swift, 39, of New Durham, who had also worked for the Loudon Police Department after resigning during the internal investigation in Ossipee, had been indicted for Misuse of Computer or Computer Network, charged with Official Oppression and Records and Certifications, according to a news release from the Attorney General’s Office. The state and Swift agreed to conditionally nolle pros, or dismiss, the charges subject to the following conditions:

(1) Decertification of Swift as a police officer by the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training Council with the understanding that the decertification will be entered into the National Decertification Database; (2) inclusion of Mr. Swift’s name on the Exculpatory Evidence Schedule also known as the Laurie List; (3) Swift must be of “good behavior,” that is no felony, misdemeanor, or major motor vehicle violations for the term of the agreement; and (4) Swift must have no contact with the registered owner of the number plate listed in the indictment and complaints.

If Swift violates any of the above conditions within two years of signing the agreement, the state may reinstate all charges against him.

According to the New Hampshire Police Standards and Training Council, Swift resigned during an internal investigation from the Ossipee Police Department on Aug. 1, 2020 and then worked as a fulltime police officer in Loudon. He used the Ossipee’s SPOTS system to search the license plate of a motorcycle in which his wife was a passenger, according to the suspension dated Oct. 27, 2020.

The suspension cites documents filed in court by his spouse for stalking and trespassing.

The matter was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Attorney General Dan Jimenez and Attorney Zachary Wolf, both of the Attorney General Office’s Public Integrity Unit.  This case was investigated by members of the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office.

Comments are closed.