AG Wants 25 More Abuse Lawsuits Against YDC Dismissed for Lack of Information

Print More

Courtesy photo

The John H. Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly known as YDC, in Manchester.

Concord, NH — Attorney General John M. Formella announces that the state is continuing to receive additional civil complaints containing allegations related to the ongoing investigation into the Youth Development Center, Youth Detention Services Unit, and Sununu Youth Services Center and that these suits continue to be filed with very limited information regarding the claims.

 Because the state has a need to have sufficient information regarding these claims, on Jan. 27, 2022, the state moved to have twenty-five additional suits dismissed because of a lack of information; again with the understanding that these suits may be refiled with additional information included. To the extent permitted by law, the Plaintiffs may also ask to file any new complaints under seal.

 Based on an initial review of all suits received to date, it appears that each suit has been filed with similarly limited information.  Therefore, it is anticipated that the state will file similar motions to dismiss in all of these cases in the next few weeks.

The fact that the state is filing these motions should in no way be considered as a lack of support for the victims of crime.

 The Task Force will continue its mission to investigate child abuse allegations occurring at YDC/SYSC.  This investigation remains active and ongoing.

 Any person with information regarding criminal conduct at the YDC is urged to contact the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Task Force hotline at 271-4000.

 Anyone who was physically or sexually assaulted or abused at the YDC is encouraged to contact their local crisis center.

Crisis center advocates are available across New Hampshire to provide free and confidential support to anyone impacted by sexual violence.  Crisis center services are also available to anyone who has experienced or witnessed abuse, or who is looking to find ways to support someone who has.

Crisis centers can provide individual support, support groups, assistance reporting abuse, help understanding options and the legal system, court and hospital accompaniment, housing assistance, and referrals for local services including mental health and substance abuse services.  To speak with an advocate, please call the statewide domestic violence hotline at 1-866-644-3574 or the statewide sexual assault hotline at 1-800-277-5570 or find the crisis center nearest you at

Comments are closed.