Editor’s note: This story will be updated after spokesmen for Gov. Chris Sununu and Health and Human Services Commissioner Jeffrey Meyers respond to emails seeking details.
UPDATE: Gov. Chris Sununu’s spokesman referred questions to DHHS.
UPDATE: State Sen. Dan Feltes, D-Concord, who is running in the primary for governor, said: “This is further evidence that we need a comprehensive plan to deal with this crisis. Another Sununu photo-op press conference is not a real solution and we still haven’t heard an answer to the question of what happens next. There are kids who still need help and right now they have nowhere to turn.”
UPDATE at 9:45 p.m. Wednesday: Jake Leon, director of communications for DHHS said:
“This is a serious situation. It is clear that Granite Pathways is not equipped to deal with the necessary level of services that were required for the individuals they admitted for treatment. At this time, all other youths have been transferred out of the facility. Additional information on this and the events that occurred last week will be made available to the public upon completion of the department’s review.”
By JEFFREY HASTINGS
MANCHESTER – At 12:05 p.m. Wednesday, Manchester Fire Department and AMR were dispatched to Granite Pathways Youth Treatment Center on River Road for a juvenile who had overdosed.
In route to the call, the responders were updated that the juvenile had ingested hand sanitizer.
Late Wednesday afternoon the parent of the juvenile reached out to Hastings and confirmed it was her daughter. The parent confirmed she was transported to the Elliot Hospital after poison control directed the facility to take that action.
Granite Pathways was the location of multiple juveniles suffering from overdose symptoms last week. The state has terminated the contract for Granite Pathways to manage the facility.
The parent has been advised by Health and Human Services that her child will be moved to a facility in Vermont. The juvenile is expected to recover.